Saturday, September 26

My Books Game

Here is a list (in no particular order) of ten books I would recommend. Not necessarily the most important ten books of my life; more like the best ten of the ones I've read recently. Ten books that I would honestly recommend right now.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke

Swallows and Amazons, by Arthur Ransome

The Irresistible Revolution, by Shane Claiborne

Collected Poems 1908-1965, Siegfried Sassoon (Faber and Faber, 1961)

Stardust, by Neil Gaiman

Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen

The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak

How I Live Now, by Meg Rosoff

Vanity Fair, by William Makepeace Thackeray

The Mabinogion (I'd recommend Sioned Davies' new translation)


If you've read any of them, let me know what you think.

I'd love to know what ten books other people would recommend. Post a comment if you have time - the first ten (or five!) books you'd recommend if somebody asked you what to read next.

3 comments:

RanDom said...

Again in no particular order...
Swallows & Amazons by Arthur Ransom
Railway Children by E Nesbit
The Shack by William P Young
Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
God on the Beach by Michael Volland
Duncton Wood by William Horwood,
Lion Witch & the Wardrobe C S Lewis
Out of the Silent Planet by C S Lewis
Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy's
The House at Pooh Corner by A A Milne

Kate said...

I've read about half of those, Dom, and I would agree with the recommendations. Especially Far from the Madding Crowd - I read that last summer and loved it.

Another book I'd definitely recommend for everybody to read (which I somehow forgot about before) is The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne. It's a fantastic example of writing. Unfortunately the film publicity probably spoiled it for a lot of people, as it's definitely best to read the book without knowing anything at all about it before you begin.

Anonymous said...

I am writing to let you be aware of of the incredible [url=http://www.cheap-toms-outlet.com]toms outlet[/url]

experience my cousin's child

obtained checking your site. She picked up lots of issues,[url=http://www.cheap-toms-outlet.com]toms outlet[/url]

cheap toms shoes ,which included what it is

like to possess a great

teaching spirit to make many others without problems fully grasp a number of

tortuous things. You

undoubtedly exceeded her expectations. Thank you for providing these informative, healthy, informative and also [url=http://www.cheap-toms-outlet.com]cheap toms[/url]

toms shoes outlet fun toms outlet guidance on this topic to Ethel.

Blog Archive

Subscribe to this blog by email:

Delivered by FeedBurner